Pregnancy Ticker

Monday, August 22, 2011

Telling Great Grandma & Grandma Emma AND Family Parties

June 18, 2011

Today is Father's Day.  Chad and I sent my Grandpa Emma a father's day card this year that said "Great Grandpa" on it.  However, we still just signed it Love, Chad & Liz.  We were hoping that my grandparents would call us and question us regarding the mistaken title on the card, at which time we would be able to clarify and share the news of the first great grandchild on my dad's side of the family.  However, for fear of "reading too much into the card" my grandparents never called.  Finally, I sent a text message asking them if they had gotten it yet.  Of course they had, so Chad and I got on speakerphone and called them to tell them that the card was not a mistake, and in fact they would be great-grandparents in January.  Grandma shared that she caught on right away, because she knows that I wouldn't make a mistake like that without a reason.  :)

June 26, 2011

My cousin Tony graduated from DePaul University this year.  My Uncle Bob and Aunt Cheryl had the whole Emma family over for a graduation party for him.  Grandma and Grandpa Emma came into town for it as well.  They had kept our secret all week, however, Grandma thought today would be a great time to tell everyone the news, since all of the Aunts and Uncles were actually at the party.  I was a little apprehensive about telling everyone, since I did not want to take away from Tony's accomplishments, but I told Grandma that if she felt it was an appropriate time to tell everyone, that she could do it.  Grandma said grace before the meal and said that we had many things to be thankful for and as our family has grown accustomed to, we don't celebrate just one big event at a time...today we have Tony's graduation from college, Mira's baseball team winning a tournament, and Grandpa and I will be Great-Grandparents in January.... :) 

After breaking the news to my family, Chad called his family members who hadn't heard the news yet on the phone and told them because we haven't had a chance to make it to Ohio yet to see everyone.

July 3, 2011

Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Glen had their annual 4th of July pool party for Mom's side of the family and friends.  All of Grandpa Schewe's war friends and their families have been gathering for years for the 4th party.  My aunt and uncle both turned 60 this year, so we also planned a surprise birthday party for them during the party.  My cousin Sarah and I were watching Veda, Matt & Erika's little girl play, when she turned to me and asked if Chad and I were planning on kids anytime soon...to which I said "NO!" In an effort to keep my secret covered up until the gift time came.  After a slideshow of pictures through the years, there were gifts and cake.  We gave Uncle Glen a "Ride the Pony" t-shirt because of an old family tradition (not sure what else to call it) from when the girls (my sister and I) were little and we gave them cards that were signed Chad, Liz and "Baby" Taylor.  The secret was busted... but we were very excited to finally be able to tell everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment